We are resuming our blog posts, and what better way than with the first step to any skin care regimen? In this dry winter season, choosing the right cleanser is vital!
Why is it important to cleanse your skin?
Cleansing your skin is a routine activity to help maintain the skin's health and integrity. Washing your skin at night permits good penetration of anti-aging treatments. Cleansing your face in the morning removes any dead skin cells that accumulated during the overnight repair and recovery of your skin.
What should be the goal of a good cleanser?
Gentle removal of dirt and debris, preservation of the skin's natural barrier, and avoidance of irritation and worsening of any underlying dermatologic conditions, such as eczema. Be sure to look for non-comedogenic options to avoid developing clogged pores, such as cleansing oils and balms!
Recommendations for Cleansers
- Micellar water (Bioderma Senbio H20, La Roche Posay Micellar Water Ultra):Great for removing water-soluble make-up and cleansing in patients with dry, sensitive skin
- Nonfoaming Cleansers (CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser, Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser):Great for those with sensitive, irritation prone skin as it leaves behind a thin moisturizing film
- Medicated Cleansers (Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Salicylic Acid Wash, Neutrogena Clear Pore Benzoyl Peroxide Wash): This cleanser helps control acne symptoms, but some may find this drying
- Foaming Cleansers (CeraVe Cream Cream-to-Foaming Cleanser): Helps more oily prone skin achieve that clean feeling without excessive drying
- Bar Soap (Dove Sensitive Skin, Vanicream Cleansing Bar): Provides excellent sebum and soil removal
- Liquid Body Wash (Vanicream Liquid Cleanser): Offers good cleansing with skin barrier protection
- Our All Around Winner : Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash or Bar, great for oily and dry-sensitive skin types (rosacea or acne!) and it's non-comedogenic and hypoallergenic.
To schedule an appointment or learn more about our Cosmetic Dermatology services, please visit the GW Center for Laser and Cosmetic Dermatology.