Chavon Onumah, MD, MPH, MEd, FACP is an Associate Professor of Medicine in the General Internal Medicine Division at the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. She is a board-certified general internist, HIV specialist, and medical educator with clinical and scholarly interests in preventive medicine, HIV prevention and treatment, women’s health, health equity, and equity in medical education.
Dr. Onumah is a graduate of the GW SMHS Master Teacher Leadership Development Program and currently serves as the internal medicine residency program director and is a former clerkship director. She has served on and led several institutional initiatives and committees as well as national committees in the Society of General Internal Medicine and the Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine. She has been an invited speaker locally and nationally on various topics in clinical medicine, medical education, and health equity. She has been recognized for her leadership with awards and honors such as the ACP Sol Katz Teaching Award, the GW SMHS Diversity & Inclusion Award, and the GW Department of Medicine Distinguished Achievement in Health Equity.
- Onumah CM, Pincavage AT, Lai CJ, Levine DL, Ismail NJ, Alexandraki I, Osman NY. Strategies for Advancing Equity in Frontline Clinical Assessment. Academic Medicine. 2023 Apr 18. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000005246. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 37071692.
- Lai C, Alexandraki I, Ismail N, Levine D, Onumah C, Pincavage A, Jacob J, Osborn Jenkins M, Nagarur A, Kisielewski M, Osman N. Reviewing Internal Medicine Clerkship Grading Through a Pro-Equity Lens: Results of A National Survey. Academic Medicine. 2023 Jan 6. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000005142. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36634614.
- Gonzalez C, Onumah C, Walker S, Karp K, Schwartz R, Lypson M. Implicit bias instruction across disciplines related to the social determinants of health: A scoping review. Advances in Health Science Education. 2022. Published online ahead of print. doi: 10.1007/s10459-022-10168-w
- Tuck MG, Johnson EN, Onumah C, Sullivan GM. Everyone Looks the Same in ERAS! Differentiating Between an Increasingly Homogenous Pool of Graduate Medical Education Applicants. J Grad Med Educ. 2023;15(5):520-523. doi:10.4300/JGME-D-23-00574.1
- Patel A*, Martinez Lebron V*, Pabalan A*, Schueler SA, El-Bayoumi J, Onumah C, & Borum ML. Engaging the Community on Colorectal Cancer Screening Education: Additional Factors Identified by African–Americans as Potential Barriers During Focus Groups. J Canc Educ (2023). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-023-02347-z Engaging the Community on Colorectal Cancer Screening Education: Additional Factors Identified by African–Americans as Potential Barriers During Focus Groups. J Canc Educ (2023). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-023-02347-z
- Ratcliffe T, Jasti H, Ortiz J, Curren C, Onumah C, Ripp J, Pincavage A. Finding Meaning: Internal Medicine Clerkship Director Burnout and Professional Fulfillment. American Journal of Medicine. May;135(5):654-660.e3. doi: 10.1016/j.amjmed.2022.01.015. Epub 2022 Jan 31. PMID: 35108501.
- Pincavage AT, Osman NY, Alexandraki I, Ismail NJ, Levine DL, Onumah CM, Lai CJ. AAIM Recommendations to Promote Equity in the Clerkship Clinical Learning Environment. Am J Med. 2022 Apr 30:S0002-9343(22)00348-5. doi: 10.1016/j.amjmed.2022.04.014. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35504324.
- Onumah C*, Lai C*, Levine D, Ismail N, Pincavage A, Osman N. Aiming for equity in clerkship grading: recommendations for reducing the effects of structural and individual bias. American Journal of Medicine. 2021; 134 (9): 1175 – 1183. *co-first authors with equal contributions
- Onumah C, Wikstrom S, Valencia V, Cioletti A. What women need: a study of institutional factors and women faculty’s intent to remain in academic medicine. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2021; 36(7): 2039-2047. Doi: 10.1007/s11606-021-06771. PMID 33973153.
- Gonzaga A, Appiah-Pippim J, Onumah C, Yialamas M. A framework for inclusive graduate medical education recruitment strategies: meeting the ACGME standard for a diverse and inclusive workforce. Academic Medicine. 2020; 95:710-716.
- Sola O, Kothari P, Mason H, Onumah C, Sánchez J. The crossroads of health policy and academic medicine: an early introduction to health policy skills to facilitate change. MedEdPORTAL. 2019;15:10827. https://doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.10827
See ORCID ID https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0267-9929 for full list of publications