Dr. Jerry Chao is Assistant Professor of Surgery at The George Washington University, and is board-certified in plastic surgery. Dr. Chao graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, after which he obtained his medical degree at Weill Cornell Medical College in New York. He then completed a combined residency in general surgery and plastic surgery at New York Presbyterian Hospital, followed by a fellowship in Craniofacial and Pediatric Plastic Surgery. He currently performs surgery at The George Washington University Hospital, Sibley Memorial Hospital, and Inova Mount Vernon Hospital.
Dr. Chao has a special interest in reconstruction and aesthetic contouring of the craniomaxillofacial region. His other areas of expertise are transgender/gender affirming surgery, cleft lip and palate, cosmetic and reconstructive breast surgery, and body contouring. He has published extensively in peer-reviewed scientific journals and lectured nationally. Dr. Chao is an active member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
A full list of Dr. Chao's interests include:
- Cosmetic and reconstructive facial surgery
- Facial trauma and fractures
- Orthognathic surgery / Maxillomandibular advancement for sleep apnea
- Facial feminization surgery (FFS)
- Craniomaxillofacial reconstruction
- Cleft lip and Palate
Breast and Body
- Breast augmentation
- Breast reconstruction after mastectomy
- Gynecomastia surgery
- Breast reduction
- Chest masculinization / FTM top surgery
- Body contouring
- Skin cancer removal
- Skin lesions and cysts
- Reconstruction after Moh’s surgery
Listen to Dr. Jerry Chao's GW Healthcast podcast, Transgender Medicine: Gender Affirmation and Facial Feminization Surgery
- Mandelbaum M, Lakhiani C, Chao JW. A novel application of virtual surgical planning to facial feminization surgery. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery.
- Chao JW., Raveendran JA, Maly C, Rogers G, Boyajian M, Oh AK. Closed-suction drains after subcutaneous mastectomy for gynecomastia: do they reduce complications? Aesthetic Plastic Surgery 2017.
- Chao JW., Raveendran JA, Sauerhammer TA, Rogers GF, Oh AK, Boyajian M. Columellar reconstruction after nasal-CPAP associated necrosis. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery 2017.
- Chao JW., Lee JC, Chang MM, Kwan E. Alloplastic augmentation of the Asian face – a review of 215 patients. Aesthetic Surgery Journal 2016.
- Chao JW., Taylor EM, Rohde CH. Reducing wound healing complications of Wise pattern breast reduction with the inverted “V” modification. Journal of Plastic Reconstrive and Aesthetic Surgery 2014.
- Articles from 2017
- Articles from 2016