Dermatology Virtual Health Visits Available Now
We are pleased to announce The GW Medical Faculty Associates Dermatology Department is now offering virtual visits with our dermatology providers for your skin, hair and nail conditions. To help promote social distancing, and with COVID-19 spreading widely in the U.S., you can schedule to virtually connect with our dermatologists from the comfort of your home, for your convenience and safety!
Our Virtual visits make access to our dermatology providers easier, faster and more convenient than ever for our patients. Dermatology Virtual Health gives you the flexibility to receive immediate, convenient, effective care at a distance, from our trusted team of dermatologists and providers. We can consult online for thousands of skin, hair, and nail conditions.
Our virtual care appointments are provided on a secure, HIPAA compliant platform for current and new patients. This "virtual care" is just like an in-office appointment with the dermatologists you trust, but is available when you need it most.
Please keep in mind this service is NOT for medical emergencies. If you think you are having a medical emergency, please call 911.
Benefits of Virtual Dermatology Visits
- Consult a dermatologist online - and on your time
- Set up an online dermatology communication for yourself, your child, or another dependent
- Get a personalized treatment plan
- Get prescribed the medicine you need
- Pick up appropriate prescriptions at your preferred pharmacy
- Telehealth visits are covered by Medicare and most insurances
Request an Appointment
Please fill out and submit the online request form below and one of our schedulers will call back within 24 hours to schedule your virtual video visit and you will receive a link to the Zoom website. You will be prompted to download the Zoom software to use on your computer, tablet, or smartphone. This software is free to use.
Or you can call 202.741.2600 to schedule an appointment. For our Bethesda providers, please call 240.483.0542 and one of our scheduling team members will be happy to assist you!
Frequently Asked Questions
- How does the GW Dermatology virtual health visit work?
We use the secure video platform, Zoom, a health information (HIPAA) compliant video conferencing system that allows you to have a video conference-based visit with your GW Dermatology physician or provider. You will need to have a computer, tablet or smart phone with a front facing camera to participate in the virtual health visit.
The Zoom application is available for download to use on smart phones and tablets. The apps are available in the Apple App Store and on Google Play. See instructions below for steps to set up your computer, tablet or phone for Zoom. Zoom is a free video communications software and there is no charge for using Zoom.
What are the next steps after downloading the software?
- Once you have downloaded the software, a box will prompt you to enter your name. Please enter your first and last name.
- The next prompt will ask you how you’d like the audio (sound source) for the meeting to be connected. It is best to connect by computer or the audio on your tablet or smart phone
- Be sure that your microphone is not muted and that your speakers are not muted. This way you and your provider can speak to each other. You will also need to make sure that your video stream is “started” so that you can see each other. You may have to hover your mouse over the screen on your computer or tap the screen on your phone to get this toolbar to appear.
- You should be able to see and talk to your provider. At the beginning of your appointment, your provider will also ask you for an alternate contact number at which to reach you, just in case you have trouble getting started or if you get disconnected during the appointment.
- Are virtual visits only available for certain conditions?
- Is this service covered by insurance?
- What if I need a skin biopsy or in-office procedure?
- Is my personal health information kept confidential?
What dermatologic conditions can be treated with an online virtual appointment?
We can help with more than 3,000 skin, hair and nail conditions via our online dermatology care including:
- Seborrheic Dermatitis/dandruff
- Hair loss
- Skin Infections
- Skin allergic reaction
- Concerning lesions as a screen (discretionary)
- Skin allergic reaction
- Nail problems
- Dry skin
- Skin wounds
Telemedicine In the Media
Our dermatologists are leading experts in delivering quality healthcare via telemedicine. With the recent explosion of telehealth needs, their expertise is sought out by both local and national media.
- The Latest Updates on Telehealth at GW Dermatology
- Virtual visits are the 'new language of care' for physicians
The telederm learning curve (DermatologyTimes) - November 4, 2020
Virtual visits are the 'new language of care' for physicians (WJLA) - April 29, 2020