The Sexual Health and Medicine providers at The GW Medical Faculty Associates are part of the SAGA Center which is within the OB/GYN department. We are committed to providing comprehensive care while honoring your autonomy and personal goals.
We are a team of trauma-informed and inclusive providers that are passionate about patient centered care that gets to the root of your problem. We will help you navigate the complex nature of sexual health and frequently collaborate with multiple other specialists to ensure comprehensive care. We are skilled in sexual health services for patients assigned female sex at birth.
Conditions We Evaluate and Treat:
- Pain with sex and intimacy
- Vulvodynia or vulvar pain
- Vestibulodynia or pain at the vaginal entrance
- Clitorodynia or clitoral pain
- Clitoral abscesses
- Vulvar skin conditions
- (Vulvar warts/condyloma, Lichen sclerosus, Lichen planus, Lichen simplex chronicus, lesions, cysts, VIN (vulvar intraepithelial neoplasia), and more)
- Recurrent/Chronic Vaginitis
- (Bacterial vaginosis, yeast, desquamative inflammatory vaginitis)
- Recurrent Bartholin’s gland cysts/abscesses
- Menopause and perimenopause effects on sexual health
- Sexual health concerns during or related to pregnancy
- Sexual health concerns or pain due to childbirth and trauma
- Arousal disorder, or decreased response to sexual stimulation
- Decreased sexual desire, or hypoactive sexual desire disorder
- We also perform gynecologic procedures in a way that is sensitive to people who have a history of pain or trauma by using addition medications for anxiety, pain, and in some cases, sedation
- IUD placement/removal, colposcopy, LEEP, hysteroscopy, pap smears
- We are experienced in performing sexual medicine procedures including botulinum toxin and pudendal nerve block injections, vestibulectomy, hymenectomy, labiaplasty for functional impairment, lysis of adhesions of the vulva, labia, and clitoris, sebaceous cyst removal, operative management of Bartholin’s gland cysts and abscesses.
What to Expect
- Your visit will take place at our 2300 M Street location in Suite 110.
- While we only have 30 minutes for each appointment, we will have you return as needed for follow up conversations, physical exams, and procedures to ensure quality care.
- Your visit includes a careful review of your symptoms, medical history, and relationship history. We will perform a physical examination only when you feel ready to do so. In some cases, a small procedure might be part of your treatment plan, in which case we will have you return to perform this. In other cases, we will give you educational resources and may prescribe medication. We often collaborate with pelvic floor physical therapists, urogynecologists, urologists, colorectal and gastrointestinal specialists, sex/couples’ therapists and psychiatrists.
Most importantly, we will listen to your story and your goals so that we understand how we can best help you!
Consults for any pain-related concerns are performed over the course of two visits: the first is a 30-minute telehealth visit to carefully review your symptoms, medical history, and relationships; the second appointment is in person for a physical exam and time to discuss potential diagnoses and an individualized plan. This allows us to provide you with a comprehensive evaluation that can be billed to your insurance. This too, ensures that you feel comfortable with our providers before having an exam.
- Prosayla (ISSWSH) Patient Education Website
- National Vulvodynia Association
- Lichen Sclerosus Support Network
- Medical Record Forms
To schedule an appointment, please call: 202-741-2500 and ask for a SAGA Center consultation!